Gas is a safe energy source for heating and cooking in the home. However, if you suspect you have a gas leak, and say yes to any of the list below, evacuate the area immediately surrounding any gas escape without using a vehicle or any device that may create a spark, including a mobile phone.
- Can you smell gas?
- Can you hear gas escaping?
- Have heard or seen a gas explosion or fire
- Are you aware of damage to a gas pipe or gas equipment?
- Only if it is safe to do so turn off the gas supply at your meter
- Do not use a naked flame or other ignition source if you suspect a gas leak
- Do not create sparks by using a vehicle, electronic devices (mobile phones, tablets, cameras, etc.), matches or lighters, or by smoking
- Please report all damage no matter how minor
For a major incident, where there is risk to life or property, call 111
For all other emergencies call us on 0800 802 332