Firstgas COVID-19 Update
Firstgas is an essential business and our national center will be manned to ensure a continuous supply and our operations teams will carry out essential work on our gas network, making sure all New Zealanders will have the energy they need for their every day during this time.
We will also be strictly observing the social distance guidelines both in the way we do our business, and when we come into contact with any person in carrying out these essential duties.
Please contact us on 0800 802 332 should you have an emergency.
Natural gas is odourless and the chemical mercaptan is added to the gas to give it the distinct smell of rotten eggs so that a gas leak is recognisable. If you can smell a bad smell, it could be a gas leak – select the option below that best describes your situation.
If you suspect have a gas leak, and say YES to any of the list below, evacuate the area immediately surrounding any gas escape without using a vehicle or any device that may create a spark, including a mobile phone.
- Is there an unusual smell in the area of the pipeline?
- Can you hear gas escaping an unusual hissing or roaring sound coming from the vicinity of the pipeline or associated facility?
- Is there dead or discolored vegetation around the suspected source site?
- Are you aware of damage to a gas pipe or gas equipment?
- Can you see or hear ground water bubbling or is it frozen?
- Is there a fog-like vapour near the ground?
- Have you heard or seen a gas explosion or fire?
- Shut down all machinery if it is safe to do so
Evacuate the area immediately by foot move quickly to a safe distance until you can no longer smell gas.
- Move upwind in the direction the wind is coming from until you no longer smell gas
- Do not use a naked flame or other ignition source
- Do not create sparks by using a vehicle, electronic devices (mobile phones, tablets, cameras, etc.), matches or lighters or by smoking
- Please report all damage no matter how minor
For a major incident, where there is risk to life or property, Call Emergency Services on 111
Call First Gas on 0800 734 567. Emergency procedures will be set in motion and trained staff will be sent to the site
Do not return to the area until you are advised that it is safe to do so by First Gas or Emergency Services.
Please don’t cover up an accident.
Let us know. It is much safer and easier for us to repair problems when they occur, rather than later.